August 28, 2010

Catching up with Massillon’s own Jeff Timmons, formerly of 98 Degrees

He plays off every artist’s penultimate goal. “It’s an exhilarating feeling to be in charge and in control over your own musical career,” he says.

But to Jeff Timmons, a founder and former member of the once Grammy-nominated band 98 Degrees, reaching that point in his life did not come easy or without some sacrifices or daunting challenges.
It took Timmons almost 10 years to the day since he was on stage with 98 Degrees to release his self-produced first solo CD in 2004, “Whisper That Way.” Over the years, he has been mastering the craft of mixing beats, writing songs, recording, and focusing on all aspects of running his company – from the recording end to all points of distribution and promotion. This soft-spoken, mild-mannered, thirty-something musician/producer/songwriter is working hard and trying to make this year his best year yet.
Growing up in Massillon, Timmons credits his musical prowess from his father, who played the trumpet in high school, and his great-grand father, who learned to play the violin by ear. At the age of four, he recalls his mother playing Barry Manilow on this old gigantic 8-track stereo system. As a child, he would rock back and forth to “I Can’t Smile Without You.”
Not being the “jock” type in high school, Timmons absorbed himself in glee clubs, choirs and school musicals.
“I didn’t really like doing it, but performing and singing always seemed to be very easy,” he said. “I could give people the starting pitches and keys of any songs from memory. For someone, whose town revolves around football, I excelled in the local community theatre even though I felt that I was just too cool to be in a choir until my high school debate and speech teacher, Mrs. Muhlbach, set me straight. She took me aside and told me to take things more seriously, and that I really had some talent that should not go to waste. I loved her for that.”
Asked about this generation’s music style, Timmons says, “I think today’s music has substance, but just in a different way. In my opinion, this generation’s hip-hop style of music has more substance sonically but maybe less substance lyrically or musically at times.”
Timmons describes his style of music as “Hip-Pop.”
He regularly collaborates with his “homies” from Ohio, who are also collectively known as the RPM Trackstars. Timmons also shared the studio with an Atlanta based rapper named Street Lotto.
“I also did a couple of songs with this hot producer named Steve Dang. He will be the next big thing. He does incredible tracks. He is a star on the rise.”
http://www.indeonline.com/entertainment/x1143347353/Catching-up-with-Massillon-s-own-Jeff-Timmons-formerly-of-98-Degrees?photo=0

No comments:

Post a Comment